The Canola Council of Canada and Canadian Canola Growers Association partnered to survey wetlands for neonic residue, providing the data to the PMRA for its review of neonic seed treatments. Of the 157 samples taken, 80 per cent had no neonics detected and the other 20 per cent had extremely low levels.
Winter canola would benefit farmers in southern Ontario looking for a profitable crop to expand the rotation, but corn and soybeans are harvested too late to get the crop established. A new concept – winter canola and soybeans harvested the same year – is getting some attention.
Soil moisture makes yield, but how much do you know about your soil moisture levels? Metre-deep moisture probes combined with cellular communication are giving growers continuous updates on yield potential based on soil water, which can help with decisions on fertilizer top-dress, fungicide applications and marketing.
The farmer panel at Canola Discovery Forum 2019, hosted by the Canola Council of Canada in Winnipeg in November, featured these four farmers sharing their most valuable integrated pest management (IPM) strategies.
Clubroot can be managed, even in areas that have exposed to high levels of the disease. Clubroot experts at CLUB Day, an event held as part of the Canola Council’s Discovery Forum, explain how.